Geneva 2013 Thematic Workshop on Monitoring, Reporting, and Fact-finding
The Thematic Workshops on IHL address critical challenges of International Humanitarian Law in current conflict situations. The two-day workshops complement the Core Professional Trainings on Humanitarian Law and Policy. Participants in the Thematic Workshops are expected to have completed the Core Professional Training in Humanitarian Law and Policy (or an equivalent multi-day training).
- The various mechanisms and methodologies available for monitoring, reporting and fact-finding, and the way these may affect respect for the law
- The interplay among international humanitarian law, human rights law and criminal law in the arena of monitoring and enforcement activities
- The significance of mandates in determining the role played by monitoring and enforcement activities in programming
- The potential effects of monitoring and reporting activities on core concerns like humanitarian access and security
- Opportunities and risks of cooperation with international courts and tribunals