Bangkok 2013 Core Professional Training on Leadership and Management in Humanitarian Action
The Core Professional Training on Leadership and Management of Humanitarian Action takes place over five full days and serves as a unique opportunity to further refine the knowledge, competencies, and skills necessary to address contemporary humanitarian challenges faced by managers and team leaders in the context of humanitarian response, with a particular focus on building the strategic capabilities of mid- to senior-level professionals working in the field.
Lectures, guided discussions, case studies, and simulation exercises are integrated into a new curriculum narrative informed by critical concepts related to non-profit management, legal frameworks, principles of humanitarian action, contemporary challenges, and recent scholarship.
The Core Professional Training on Leadership and Management of Humanitarian Action consists of a variety of modules, covering such topics as:
- Core management concepts applicable to international aid
- Governance and accountability structures of humanitarian organizations
- Coordination mechanisms and interoperability with the UN system
- Review of mandates of key agencies and non-governmental organizations
- Review of guiding humanitarian principles
- Strategic planning, evaluation, and communication
- Leading change in humanitarian policies and operations
- Concepts and tools for human resource management in humanitarian operations
- Security and risk management approaches and methodologies
- Mobilizing financial resources: tools and methods
- Engagement with communities and accountability toward beneficiaries
- Monitoring, reporting, and fact-finding methods and strategies
- Evaluating output and impact in the humanitarian sector
- Team management under stress
The modules are developed in close cooperation with the Program on Humanitarian Policy and Conflict Research (HPCR) at Harvard Universityand presented by internationally-recognized experts and instructors in the humanitarian domain. Participants are expected to engage actively in each of the sessions, sharing their own perspectives and experiences on management and leadership challenges in humanitarian contexts. Core sessions are reviewed regularly by third-party experts, major employing agencies, and individual professionals to ensure their accuracy, quality, and relevance to the professional development of PHAP members.
How to apply for the Core Training:
Please use this application form to apply for the training event.
Applications for PHAP’s Core Professional Trainings are received and processed on a rolling basis. While there is no application deadline, interested individuals are strongly encouraged to apply early for the training events of their choice due to the high demand for such courses. (At its discretion, PHAP may place interested applicants on a waiting list with the possibility that they may be offered a place closer to the time of the event, in case a place becomes available, or be offered to attend the same training in another location.)
If you are not yet a member of PHAP, your application for the training and your application for PHAP membership will also be processed simultaneously from the same form. For more details on PHAP membership, click here.
For assistance, please Contact Us.
1500 EUR (see Fee and Payment Information)