Learning Stream on Humanitarian Financing: Grand Bargain and its impact for NGOs
Throughout the PHAP’s and ICVA’s series on humanitarian financing, speakers have referred to a process that promises to significantly reshape humanitarian funding – the “Grand Bargain”. The Grand Bargain – a package of commitments to improve humanitarian financing following ten work streams – was launched at the World Humanitarian Summit (WHS) and aims to reduce the humanitarian funding gap and improve funding processes. Given the interest expressed in this topic by participants in previous sessions, PHAP and ICVA will host an additional session focusing on this topic on 3 March.
In this additional session of the learning stream on humanitarian financing, participants will be provided with an overview of the Grand Bargain origins and processes, and its current potential and impact for NGOs, with a particular focus on the willingness to increase support to local and national responders, allow harmonized and simplified reporting, and improve the humanitarian-development nexus.
- Understanding of the origins, and familiarity with the main processes and actors involved in the Grand Bargain
- Awareness of the challenges for both donors and NGOs to increase multi-year planning and funding
- Familiarity with the current trends and emerging policies regarding the harmonization and simplification of reporting for NGOs
- Awareness of current discussions relating to the humanitarian-development nexus and its implications for humanitarian planning and funding
Friday, 3 March 2017
|New York:||04:30 - 06:00|
|London:||08:30 - 11:00|
|Geneva:||10:30 - 12:00|
|Amman:||11:30 - 13:00|
|Nairobi:||12:30 - 14:00|
|Bangkok:||16:30 - 18:00|
|Manila:||17:30 - 19:00|
To see when the live session will take place in your time zone, click here.
Target audience and event access
The stream specifically targets NGO staff, including field, policy and HQ staff, but all live sessions are open to anyone interested in improving their understanding of humanitarian financing. In order to join the event, please register in advance at phap.org/3mar2017/register
- “The Grand Bargain - A Shared Commitment to Better Serve People in Need”, Istanbul, 23 May 2016
- Ben Parker, "Is the Grand Bargain a Big Deal?," IRIN News, 24 May 2016
- Sophia Swithern & Charlotte Lattimer, “Global Humanitarian Assistance Report 2016,” Development Initiatives, 2016
To be announced
Executive Director, PHAP
Head of Policy, ICVA
Learning stream on humanitarian financing
This event will be an additional session to the five live interactive online learning events that ICVA and PHAP have organized in the learning stream on humanitarian financing with the purpose of providing NGOs and humanitarian workers with a stronger understanding of the humanitarian financing system.