Learning Stream on Humanitarian Coordination: NGO fora and consortia from local to global
Aiming collectively for strengthened humanitarian coordination and response from local to global level, we are witnessing the increasing relevance of NGO fora and consortia at national, regional and global levels. Understanding how these fora and consortia function, and how NGOs can engage in these structures, was the topic of the third session of the learning stream on humanitarian coordination, jointly organized by ICVA and PHAP.
In this session, participants were provided with examples of good practice of NGO-led fora and consortia, highlighting the challenges and opportunities to engage for both local and international NGOs. Guest experts explored their added value, and answered live questions from participants throughout the session.
Session recording (YouTube - faster loading time)
Session recording (Adobe Connect - higher quality)
Session recording (audio podcast)
- Understanding of the concept and diverse role of NGO fora and consortia
- Knowledge of the different forms of NGO fora and consortia
- Familiarity with the main NGO-led fora and consortia of international and regional relevance
- Awareness of the added value and trends for NGOs to engage in such fora and consortia
- Familiarity with sources of information on NGO-led fora and consortia
Target audience and event access
The event is particularly targeted to those working in international and national NGOs engaged in humanitarian action, who are seeking for a stronger understanding of the various humanitarian coordination mechanisms. The event is also open to the public.
- David Sogge, “New organisational frameworks: the importance of joint action,” Conference Report, Jornadas Eficacia del Desarrollo y ONGDs: renovando nuestro papel, 2011
- Kathrin Schick, “Humanitarian NGO Networks,” in Pat Gibbons et al, Working in Conflict - Working on Conflict: Humanitarian Dilemmas and Challenges, HumanitarianNet, University of Deusto, 2006 (pp. 95-103)
- NGO Coordination Resource Centre's website
Director of Programme and Policy, ICVA
Media and Advocacy Manager and Head of the Gaziantep Office in Turkey, Syria Relief
Director, Somalia NGO Consortium
Pansy Tun Thein
Executive Director, Local Resource Centre
Executive Director, PHAP
Senior Policy Officer – Humanitarian Coordination, ICVA
PHAP Credentialing Program
Understanding the Humanitarian Ecosystem
In particular, the event addresses segment 3.2 of the certification assessment outline. It also addresses some aspects of segments 1.5, 2.5, and 2.6.
Learning stream on humanitarian coordination
As part of the learning stream on humanitarian coordination, this event was the third session of six live interactive online learning events that ICVA and PHAP will organize in the coming months with the purpose of providing NGOs and humanitarian workers with a stronger understanding of the humanitarian coordination mechanisms at global, regional, and country levels.
Read more and register for the other upcoming events of PHAP's and ICVA's learning stream on humanitarian coordination:
- OCHA and NGOs at phap.org/14sep2017
- The New Way of Working at phap.org/5oct2017
- Alternative models at phap.org/16nov2017
Geneva Humanitarian Connector
This event was made possible by ICVA and through the Geneva Humanitarian Connector, an initiative of PHAP supported by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.