Learning Stream on Humanitarian Coordination: OCHA and NGOs in humanitarian coordination
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) aims to achieve greater coherence, complementarity, and efficiency of humanitarian response by mobilizing and coordinating humanitarian actors through different coordination mechanisms. NGOs undertake a vital role in these various structures.
On 14 September, PHAP and ICVA will organize the fourth online session of their learning stream on humanitarian coordination, focusing on NGO challenges and opportunities to engage with OCHA in an effective and meaningful way. Participants will be provided with an overview of OCHA’s main focus areas, highlighting the differences of NGO engagement with OCHA country offices in different regions, and exploring lessons already learnt by NGOs.
- Knowledge of OCHA’s mandate and key focus areas
- Familiarity with NGO entry points to engage with OCHA’s coordination mechanisms
- Awareness of the differences per region and the effect of field realities on NGOs’ engagement with OCHA country offices
- Familiarity with sources of information on NGO engagement with OCHA
Thursday, 14 September 2017
|New York:||04:30 - 06:00|
|London:||09:30 - 11:00|
|Geneva:||10:30 - 12:00|
|Amman:||11:30 - 13:00|
|Nairobi:||11:30 - 13:00|
|Bangkok:||15:30 - 17:00|
|Manila:||16:30 - 18:00|
To see when the live session will take place in your time zone, click here.
Target audience and event access
The event is particularly targeted to those working in international and national NGOs engaged in humanitarian action, who are seeking for a stronger understanding of the various humanitarian coordination mechanisms. The event is also open to the public. In order to join the event, please register in advance at phap.org/14sep2017/register
- OCHA, “Coordination,” UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- OCHA, “Partnerships with NGOs,” UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
To be announced soon
Executive Director, PHAP
Senior Policy Officer – Humanitarian Coordination, ICVA
PHAP Credentialing Program
Understanding the Humanitarian Ecosystem
In particular, the event will address segment 3.1 and 3.2 of the certification assessment outline. It will also address some aspects of segments 1.5, 2.3, and 2.5.
Learning stream on humanitarian coordination
As part of the learning stream on humanitarian coordination, this event will be the fourth session of six live interactive online learning events that ICVA and PHAP will organize in the coming months with the purpose of providing NGOs and humanitarian workers with a stronger understanding of the humanitarian coordination mechanisms at global, regional, and country levels.
Read more and register for the other upcoming events of PHAP's and ICVA's learning stream on humanitarian coordination:
- IASC and global humanitarian coordination at phap.org/31may2017
- Humanitarian coordination at country and regional levels at phap.org/22jun2017
- NGO fora and consortia at phap.org/20jul2017
- The New Way of Working at phap.org/5oct2017
- Alternative models at phap.org/2nov2017
Geneva Humanitarian Connector
This event will be organized in line with the aims of the Geneva Humanitarian Connector, an initiative of PHAP supported by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.