The PHAP Professional Development Program (PDP) is composed of a series of educational opportunities for professionals engaged in humanitarian assistance and protection. The PDP offers a unique opportunity for mid-career professionals to develop strategic and managerial skills; deepen their understanding of applicable legal, policy, analytical, and operational frameworks; and expand their informal networks. By engaging on emerging challenges and issues, the PDP also aims to enrich discussions and debates around humanitarian action and improve the professionalism of international responses to situations of armed conflict, natural disasters, and other humanitarian crises.
The Professional Development Program builds upon the experience of PHAP's close partners (HPCR and HPCR International) over the last nine years, during which time the two organizations developed a cogent training and certification program on humanitarian law and policy, in cooperation with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and a number of local partners. Under the new format, PHAP will expand the offerings of the PDP to include additional pathways for professional development and to further promote the engagement of PHAP members into the design of the curricula, development of case studies and other training materials, and participation as instructors.
PHAP Pathways for Professional Development
A key aspect of the Professional Development Program has been the recognition of the central role of the individual and of the individual’s interest in the design of his/her own professional development. Parameters of the pathways entail the following:
- PHAP professional development pathways provide access to required knowledge along a cogent thread from generic to specialized issues;
- The pathways include both online and onsite activities, the former being driven toward the acquisition of essential knowledge, the latter toward sharing of experience and common critical reflections;
- The pathways are based on both an incremental approach to acquiring knowledge in a particular sub-specialty and the possibility of pursuing parallel tracks among different specialized fields;
- The pathways are intended to answer the needs of a large number of PHAP members to acquire essential knowledge and skills and to assist the those members with the most direct professional egagement in a particular sub-specialty to acquire targeted expertise and recognition to advance their careers;
- Overall, the main objective is to create a standard of excellence in professional development to be recognized by third party experts, organizations, and employers.
Over the coming years, PHAP plans to offer a series of pathways addressing all the key areas of professional interests of its members, starting with the current pathway on Humanitarian Law and Policy.